Tuesday, May 19, 2009


Located at a prominent bend of Peachtree Street in the city's Midtown section, Peachtree Christian Church is a Gothic Revival edifice constructed of stone, concrete and an outer surface of red brick and concrete. Its most conspicuous feature is a bell tower topped by squared turrets on all four corners and visible for a number of blocks in either direction. Just north of the bell tower is the church's rectangular sanctuary, extending in a southwesterly direction from its Peachtree Street frontage. Like the tower, the sanctuary is highlighted by limestone quoining at all corners, and both sections are replete with limestone molded frames around Gothic windows.

The front elevation also contains the 1949 Annie Laurie Warren Chapel, constructed in a simplified Gothic form at the west side of the entrance. The second and latest addition to the church is an L-shaped education wing constructed in 1964, connecting the meeting and dining areas behind the nave with the chapel.

Peachtree Christian Church is primarily significant for its historical, architectural and cultural contributions to the city. It is closely associated with the life of famed Atlanta business leader Amos Giles Rhodes (1850-1928). The Church is a distinctive example of the 1920s Gothic Revival mode and of the work of the regionally important architect Charles H. Hopson (1865- 1941). Its aesthetic hallmark is a large and especially fine collection of stained glass windows. Though the church represents one of the smaller denominations within Georgia, it is culturally significant within the metropolitan community. It has achieved a wide reputation for its original and longstanding emphasis on interdenominational good will and its well-known radio exposure.

No comments: